About Us Passport Services

Untitled Document

As on May 20, 2020

Official Website: https://passport.gov.in/nri/Online.do


Embassy of India Buenos Aires accepts passport applications online (through internet) only through the above link.

All passport services, including issue of new passport, changes in passport etc. will be applied through this link only. (In case the security warning appears on the computer while opening the above link, please ignore the warning and continue ahead. Through this link the applicants can also see the status of their applications.)

Applicants are advised to apply for passport services through this link and take a print of the on line application, paste photograph, sign on the first (beside the photograph), third and the fourth pages. Complete the remaining columns by answering all other columns in writing. Enclose required documents and submit it within 30 days in the Embassy along with the prescribed fee. If the application is entered online before 5 PM, it can be submitted the next day or later (within 30 days). However, if the application is entered online after 5 PM, it can be submitted NEXT-to-NEXT day or later (within 30 days).

The Embassy does NOT follow appointment system for passport services. Please ignore the appointments given by the passport services application system. The applicants should visit the Embassy on working days, except on Wednesdays, during hours specified in the Working Hours section of this website.



1.     The validity of the existing passport has expired or is likely to expire in next one year.

2.    A child is born to an Indian parent, and the birth of the child has been registered at the Embassy. (Such registration should normally be done within 1 year of birth of the child, otherwise delays may be expected.)

3.     Any change is to be made in the passport, such as change in name, address, spouse's name, photograph etc. In principle, any change in the laminated part of the passport will require issue of a new passport.

4.     The existing passport is lost, stolen or damaged.


Please note that passport booklets are no longer being issued. In all cases, where a new booklet used to be issued earlier, now a new passport will be issued.

Application Form: In all cases, application must be made online, through internet.




1.            A print of the online Application form completely filled and signed by the applicant.

2.            2 photographs and the Argentine/Uruguay/Paraguay resident card of the applicant.

3.            The existing passport, if any, along with PHOTOCOPY of the first and last pages of the passport.

4.            PP Form dully filled in duplicate

In case of a lost passport, police report of loss of passport, a sworn affidavit regarding the loss of passport, and the photocopy of the lost passport should be submitted. If the photocopy of the lost passport is not available, any other document issued to the applicant in India such as driving License, ration card, voters Identity Card, etc. could be submitted.

If the passport is requested for a child, who has not been issued passport earlier, a copy of child's birth registration at the Embassy should be submitted. The application (Annex ‘H’) should be signed by both parents. Photocopy of passports of parents should also be submitted.

In case of reissue of passport for a minor, copy of the applicant's passport, copies of parents passport, copies of applicant and parent's resident cards and the original passport of the applicant should be submitted.

If the passport is needed due to change in appearance, a sworn affidavit for change of appearance should be submitted, and the personal particulars form should also be filled and submitted.

If the passport is needed due to change in the Indian address, a general sworn affidavit should be produced. A document from Village or Block or District Authorities to prove the change of address should also be produced. This document should be duly attested by the Home Department, General Administration of the concerned State and apostilled by Consular section, Ministry of External Affairs, CPV Division, Patiala House, Tilak Marg, New Delhi.

For inclusion of name of spouse in the passport, authenticated / apostilled marriage certificate along with a photocopy of it should be submitted.

If the passport is needed due to change in name, cuttings of two leading newspapers (one in India and the other in Argentina) carrying advertisement notifying the change of name and asking for any objection thereof to be reported to Embassy of India, Buenos Aires, Argentina within 30 days of the publication, should be submitted. The applicant should also submit a general sworn affidavit.

NOTE: The above mentioned sworn affidavits should be signed in the presence of the Consular Official of the Embassy.

Time Taken for the Service If the previous passport was issued at Embassy of India, Buenos Aires, the new passport is delivered within 45 days of accepting the application with all the necessary document.

However, if the previous passport was not issued at Embassy of India, Buenos Aires, it may take longer to issue the new passport.


 1. When should I apply for reissue of my passport?

The passport can be applied for reissue one year before its expiry or when any change of entry is to be made in the existing passport.


2. Where can I apply for my passport?

The jurisdiction of Embassy of India in Buenos Aires covers Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.


Applications for reissue of passport from Indian nationals resident in these countries can be submitted at the Consular section of Embassy of India, Buenos Aires during consular service hours from 10AM to 12:00AM from Monday to Friday except holidays.


3. My passport is expiring and I want to renew it. Where can I find the application form and requirements?


Online NRI passport application form which is available on the website of the Embassy can be used for submitting passport applications (https://passport.gov.in/nri/). Dimensions of photographs required for Machine Readable Passports are 5 cm x 5 cm (square shape) with a light/ plain background (two photos). Photos not meeting this specification will not be accepted. Applicant should put his/her signature in Black ink within the box specified on top of the front page of the application form and declaration on the second page should also be signed.


Application forms should be filled in full, legibly (in capital letters), accurately with black/blue ink only and submitted with the passport. Misrepresentation/suppression of facts may result in denial of passport service. Incomplete/incorrect applications, applications with inadequate fee and fee not paid in the prescribed manner (i.e. it should not be in a different currency or by check/credit/debit card) will not be processed.


4. Should I send the copy of my passport or the original passport?


Duly filled and signed application for reissue of passport along with original passport, copy of passport and copy of valid resident/work permit/cedula along with prescribed photographs with applicable fee need to be submitted.


5. When will my passport be issued?


The normal processing time is 1-2 weeks as passports are printed in India and sent to the Embassy by courier.


6. Can the change of address, addition/deletion of spouse´s name be done at the time of re-issue of passport?


Yes. This is, however, subject to requirements being met for such services.


7. I have a handwritten passport which is still valid. Do I need to change it?


Yes, all Indian citizens holding handwritten passports are required to apply for reissue of Machine Readable passports as the International Civil Aviation Organization has mandated phasing out of all non-Machine Readable passports.


8. I have acquired foreign nationality and I am still keeping my Indian passport. Can I have dual nationality?


Indian Citizenship Act does not allow dual citizenship. You need to surrender your Indian passport to the nearest Indian Embassy if you have acquired foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passport constitutes an offence under Section 12(IA) of the Passports Act 1967.


9. My passport has expired and I need to travel to India in emergency. What is the facility?


In case of travel to India in an emergency, a one way Emergency Certificate could be issued by the Embassy on request by the applicant for travelling to India. Holder can apply for reissue of passport after reaching India at the concerned Passport Office.


10. What do I do if I lose my passport?


Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Indian Embassy. You can apply for "Re-issue" of passport and submit the required documents along with your passport application form. Required documents are copy of police report, copy of lost passport (if available), two photos (size 5 cm x 5 cm), statement explaining the circumstances of loss of passport, an affidavit in the format as given in the website under passport services, duly completed form and copies of three identity documents like Adhaar card, Election ID card, Office ID card, Driving licence etc. All the copies may be self-attested.


11. What can I do if I have lost my passport and have to travel to India urgently due to an emergency like serious illness or death in the family?


You need to contact the Indian Embassy to apply for issuance of another Passport. An Emergency Certificate (EC) may also be issued for returning to India after due verifications.


12. My passport is nearly full but is valid for another 3 years, is it possible to add extra pages?


Additional pages are no longer added to a passport booklet. If the pages in the passport booklet have been used up, you would need to apply for "Re-issue" of passport and submit Online NRI application form. A new passport would be issued to you.


13. I cannot come to collect my Passport personally, what should I do?


A member of the family or the person authorized by the applicant bearing an authorization letter and original identity paper/document of the bearer can collect the passport on behalf of the applicant.


14. I recently got married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?


To change the name in the passport, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars. Submission of additional documents such as divorce decree or marriage certificate etc. may be required.